The Center for Fiction / Susan Kamil Emerging Writer Fellowships offer grants, editorial mentorship, and other opportunities to early-career New York City-based practitioners who are at a critical moment in their development as fiction writers.
The 2022-2023 cohort was announced last fall and their Fellowships began on October 20, 2022. The application window for the 2023-2024 Fellowships closed on May 31, 2023. The next cohort will be announced in the fall of 2023.
Questions about Emerging Writer Fellowships?
About the Fellowships
During the one-year Fellowship period, grantees receive:
- A grant of $5,000
- The opportunity to have their manuscript revised and critiqued by an experienced editor
- Access to write in our Writers Studio
- The opportunity to meet with editors, authors, and agents who represent new writers at monthly dinners
- Two public readings as part of our annual program of events
- A professional headshot for personal publicity use
- Inclusion in an anthology distributed to industry professionals
- Tickets to our First Novel Fête and/or Annual Awards Benefit
- Complimentary admission to all Center events
- A 25% discount on writing workshops at the Center
- A workshop on reading as performance, conducted by Audible
We are enormously grateful to the Jerome Foundation, the Amazon Literary Partnership, and the donors to The Center for Fiction/Susan Kamil Award for Emerging Writers for generously supporting these Fellowships, which have launched the literary careers of so many talented young writers.
Meet Our 2022-2023 Fellows
Congratulations to Sara Aboulafia, Natalie Adler, Han Chang, JP Infante, Diana Kole, Emmanuel Lachaud, Sabrina Helen Li, Juliana Roth, and Jiaming Tang, our 2022-2023 Emerging Writer Fellows!
Meet our past Emerging Writer Fellows and enjoy videos of them reading from their work.