The Center for Fiction / Susan Kamil Emerging Writer Fellowships offer grants, editorial mentorship, and other opportunities to early-career New York City-based practitioners who are at a critical moment in their development as fiction writers.
The application window for the 2022-2023 Fellowships closed on May 30, 2022. We are now reviewing applications. The Fellowships will begin on October 20, 2022.
During the one-year Fellowship period, grantees receive:
- A grant of $5,000
- The opportunity to have their manuscript revised and critiqued by an experienced editor
- Access to write in our Writers Studio
- The opportunity to meet with editors, authors, and agents who represent new writers at monthly dinners
- Two public readings as part of our annual program of events
- A professional headshot for personal publicity use
- Inclusion in an anthology distributed to industry professionals
- Tickets to our First Novel Fête and/or Annual Awards Benefit
- Complimentary admission to all Center events
- A 25% discount on writing workshops at the Center
- A workshop on reading as performance, conducted by Audible
We are enormously grateful to the Jerome Foundation, the Amazon Literary Partnership, and the donors to The Center for Fiction/Susan Kamil Award for Emerging Writers for generously supporting these Fellowships, which have launched the literary careers of so many talented young writers.
Meet Our 2021 Fellows
Congratulations to Joshua Borja, Gina Chung, Caleb Gayle, Senny George, Jared Jackson, Jen Lue, Mary Wang, Katie Yee, and Na Zhong, our 2021 Emerging Writer Fellows!
10th Anniversary Celebration of the Emerging Writer Fellowships
On Tuesday, October 12th, The Center for Fiction honored Distinguished Editor and Publisher Susan Kamil and recognized the generosity of the donors to a successful fundraising campaign that guarantees crucial funding for the Emerging Writer Fellowships. The evening featured tributes to Susan Kamil by Andy Ward, Publisher of Random House and Kamil’s chosen successor, and by author Elizabeth Strout; a public reading by the 2020-21 class of Emerging Writer Fellows; and an introduction to the next group of writers who began their Fellowships in October 2021.