Entry Period Begins Oct 1
Submissions Accepted October 1 to October 25, 2020
Click here to submit your story!
We will announce the three winning stories on Friday, October 30!
Terrify and surprise twist your way into a chance to win up to $100 to our bookstore, and online publication with us and our contest partner, the Decameron Project! We’re calling on young writers, aged 13 to 18, to submit chilling tales that lead us through the haunted corridors of their imaginations. But we can’t stay long. The horror-themed thrill rides have to be completed within 300-1,000 words.
About Our Contest Partner
We are thrilled to bring back the Decameron Project as our contest partner. The student-run NYC-based nonprofit aims to empower students to express themselves creatively and share their stories amidst school closures and other hardships posed by COVID-19.
The three winning stories will be published on the Center for Fiction and Decameron Project’s websites.
- The first-place winner will receive a Center for Fiction tote bag and a $100 bookstore gift certificate
- The second-place winner will receive a Center for Fiction tote bag and a $50 bookstore gift certificate
- The third-place winner will receive a Center for Fiction tote bag and $25 bookstore gift certificate
Final decisions regarding winners and finalists will be made by the Center for Fiction staff. The Center for Fiction reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any entries that do not follow the contest rules or contain lewd, obscene, defamatory, or hateful content.
Rules and Eligibility
- Submissions accepted between October 1 and October 25
- One submission per storyteller
- Storytellers must be between the ages of 13 and 18 at the time of submission
- Stories must be between 300 and 1,000 words (the title is not included in word count)
- At this time we can only consider stories written in English
Story/Teller with Jess Walter and David Duchovny$30
Thursday, 7:30 pm EDT October 29, 2020
On America: A Performance of James Baldwin's "The White Problem"Free
Thursday, 7:30 pm EDT November 5, 2020
The Art of the Short Story: Nicole Krauss on To Be a Man with Julie Orringer$30
Monday, 7:30 pm EDT November 9, 2020
Story/Teller with Jonathan Lethem, Edward Norton, and Kim Stanley RobinsonFree
Monday, 7:30 pm EDT November 16, 2020
Story/Teller with Zeyn Joukhadar, Samy Nour Younes, Leila Buck, and Jenn Baker
Tuesday, 7:30 pm EDT November 24, 2020
The Center for Fiction Annual Awards Benefit
Thursday, 7:30 pm EDT December 3, 2020